Changes to Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)
New EPC changes came into effect this week which means that an EPC must have been commissioned prior to marketing and obtained within 7 days of the property first being marketed. It is also essential to make the EPC available to prospective buyers and tenants when requested and advertise the EPC’s rating on all advertisements, both print and online. It is no longer necessary, however, to attach the front page of the EPC to written material.
Additional key changes are as follows:
- EPCs must always be made available to buyers/tenants free of charge.
- EPCs are no longer required for:
- building officially protected as part of a designated environment or because of special architectural or historic merit;
- temporary buildings with a planned time of use of two years or less
- for residential buildings which are intended to be used less than 4 months of the year
- standalone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50m2
For more detail on the recent EPC changes please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/improving-the-energy-efficiency-of-our-buildings
Simon Tearle, at Robinson & Hall comments: “Whilst we are working to the new guidelines, we tend to find that buyers are not that interested in the EPC rating of a property, and we are concerned that using space in adverts for an EPC will not allow us to fully list all the features of a property. We do however welcome the removal of extra categories of buildings from the EPC requirements.”
It is the sellers or landlords responsibility to obtain the EPC, even in the event of employing an agent’s services to act on their behalf. Where an EPC is not obtained within 7 days of the property being marketed, a further 21 days is allowed as long as it can be demonstrated that all reasonable efforts were taken to obtain the EPC.
Robinson & Hall organise all their properties EPC’s and often don’t charge you a penny for it. To arrange a FREE, no obligation market appraisal or to find out about the range of services we offer, please call one of our experts at your nearest office.
Bedford 01234 351000 or email email@example.com